Many people keep cats as pets but still, there’s a lot that we don’t know about cats. Cats have captured the hearts of people for a long time now. Right from their mysterious personalities, the unusual way they walk, and how adorable they look, they are the most popular pets after dogs. With a lot of cats around us, we probably know everything about them, isn’t it? Well, there are still so many things that you don’t know about them.
Here are funny cat facts:
1. Cats spend about 70% of their lives sleeping:
Cats may just be regarded as the laziest animals. When they are not eating or playing with you, they curl up in a corner and sleep. They could sleep for up to 16 hours a day. Approximately, they spend 60% of their lives sleeping.
2. The richest cat in the world had £7 million
According to the Guinness Book of Records, Blackie is the richest cat in the world. His owner passed away and willed 7 million pounds to him.
3. Cats walk like giraffes and camels:
Have you seen giraffes and camels walking? Look closely. Cats walk like them too. They walk with both right feet first, then by the two left feet. This makes them move half of their body mass forward at a time. These three animals are the only ones to walk in that manner.
4. A cat went to space in 1963:
You’ve heard of dogs going to space but do you know a cat has also gone to space? Well, on the 18th of October, 1963, a cat named Felicette became the first and the only cat to go to space. It was nicknamed the “Astrocat”.
5. The oldest cat in the world was 38 years old:
Creme Puff was born on August 3rd, 1967, and passed away on August 6th, 2005. He was 38 years and 3 days old when he died.
Other funny cat facts:
- Every cat’s nose is different, the same way human fingerprints are different.
- Cats can jump up to six times their height.
- Cats can dream.
- There are over 88 million cats in the US. This makes it the most popular pet in the country.
- Adult cats have 40 teeth while kittens have 26 teeth.
- Cats have an organ that lets them taste scents in the air
- Cat whiskers are the same width as that of their body.
- Grooming regulates cats’ body temperature, stimulates their blood flow, and helps them to relax.
- If cats show you their belly, it means that they trust you and are inviting you for a belly rub.
- Cats meow as a way of communicating with humans.
- Cats tend to live longer when they stay indoors
- A lot of cats are lactose intolerant
- Cats only eat what is palatable to them. They can refuse an unpalatable food even up to the point of starvation.
- Cats have up to a hundred different vocalizations.
Do you think you know your cat well? Did you know all these?